Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Was that really necessary?

My office has a cafeteria. I can get breakfast, lunch and even dinner (after 5:30pm). Sounds great right? And here's the best part, I can charge my food order to my personal account. Say what, you might be asking. Yeah, I can charge it and have the money taken right out of my paycheck. That has to be the worst thing ever. Here we are struggling to save money, pinch pennies, and scrimp. I am sure the company thinks it's a great idea. I'm sure the think they're doing us all a big favor. Well, I say keep that favor. I have done it, but when I get my list of charges it just feels wrong. It's worse than getting taxed twice. Because you did this to yourself. Not Uncle Sam, not "The Man", but you. You chose to visit the cafeteria and charge your food order.

That's just how credit cards feel to me. When I get a statement and see what I charged. I am sometimes in a state of shock, I charged what??!!!??? It really makes me look at my spending habits. So instead of ignoring the bills when they come, I force myself to look at them and realize I really didn't "need" half the stuff I charged. The higher prices are forcing us to make choices.

No comments: